Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Positioning your product / brand or testing the market ?

In this digital era, everything you can do that slightly change your results, even small percentages like 0,01% (due to the scalability of the digital environment), can provide us a very palpable results in the end. 

I was undergoing a project to actually show an analogy to what it is the difference when you position your product in the right way, the project did fail, but I still can use as an example for other areas of marketing

 Coming back to that failure project. I did took a red led put on some batteries and did take it on the lookout on top of the hill outside city limits (Jiujiang city, Jiangxi - China) . I was hopping to see the red led light when I was back home in the city during a night time. I knew it could not be seem at day time because the light was to small but I I was hopping to see at night, it turns out it was too small even to be seen at night…

 




This concept or analogy still would work, that failure did not invalidate the concept, I just not invest enough on the resources to make it work, when you position your self or the product right you can reach much more people spending lot of less resources with much better results. Marketers are supposed to know that and be able to provide a good deal for the buck you invest with them after all this what they do.

 In my opinion it would always be a good investment if you put “x” in and get out “2x”. I would repeat the process of putting “x” in as much as I can as long as I am getting “2x” out. Lets say you sell a product for $10 for a profit of $5. If you invest $1 in marketing you get 3 new clients. So if you do a proper marketing you may get 10 new clients instead of 3. Even better.

Now the question becomes how do you know you are doing proper marketing ?

Let me introduce you to a testing concept now within the digital era. To test a “copy” (selling script) is very easy and fast, you can have data to base your next move in perhaps only 24 hours, just like my experiment with the red led, few hours later I knew it did not work, so now I am planning my next move based on the result of this failure experiment, witch is not wise to call it failure because in reality it is only a part of a process of getting where you want to be. There is no way of getting there without under covering a few ways it doesn’t work by experimenting it. 

There a technique call “testing A/B” in selling funnels, it consist in establishing 2 different web pages to sell a product, as you get the results of your sells you know each one converts better, and you keep the process of trying to improve from what it is working.

If you don’t want take much of your time from your business to run such experiments, you at least should consider hiring such a service, you not only going to improve your sales but also keep all your time to dedicate to your business, while still being sure to receive a good quality marketing service. The last one here is possible because many marketers offer you such a service on a monthly basis, you pay only if you satisfied with the results.

Now let me wrap up this post. I could make this post about positioning my topic as “positioning your product” but my project to use as the analogy did not work, so I did position my topic as “testing the market” because I have learn something with this project, and if I will try again I will improve it somehow that it may work at the next time.

There is always so many good options a good marketing provider can discuss with you to improve your business, best of all you when you hire such services you can use your time to take care of your customer (your most important priority) than otherwise having to learn digital marketing.

No comments:

Post a Comment